Little changes make a big difference
By Fareeha Qayoom
Are you bored with your current décor? Do you want to change things around but do not have enough cash to spare to do a major make-over? There is a simple solution to your problem. By making smart shopping decisions, you can give a new look to any room in your home. You do not need a lot of money to do so. However, you do need a lot of stamina, sturdy walking shoes, your car and patience to shop till you drop!
Check out the accessory stores on MM Alam Road (Framer, Candelicious, Source, The Gift Shop), Noor Jehan Road, (Heaven, Home Show, Varioline Kitchens, Signature Kitchens, Shoppe), Ferozepur Road, Davis Road (Pakistan small industries Handicraft Shop), Jail Road (APWA), Main Boulevard (Worth, Indesign) for ideas and bargains.
Pakistani handicraft shops are the cheapest sources of very smart, ethnic and colorful design solutions. Or you could visit second hand stores – pick up bargains, refinish/upholster furniture from main market Gulberg. There is also Beaton Road and Cooper Road options, not to mention, Fortress Stadium interior shops. It all depends on you.
- Group family photos in cool frames on your coffee table or hang them on the wall
- Buy a couple of coffee table books from a second hand book store, tear out the pages and get them framed from main market, Gulberg
- Group candles by color or shape on a book shelf or on your coffee table
- Toss a sofa throw to add a dash of color to your room
- Throw out your curtains, bring in blinds
- Buy and install a new rug
- Restock your bookshelves from second hand book stores like Readings or Jumbo book sales
- Redo your shelves. Add a few knick knacks. Books add color and instantly can give your living room a new focus, making it look lived in
- Collect all the empty glass bottles/glass jars with cool shapes (perfume, creams, jam, sauce, etc.), spray paint/hand paint them for original art display
- Re-upholster your sofa
- Tear up your old Saree material to make fancy cushion/pillow covers for your sofa
- Change the placement of your furniture
- Add new table mats or replace the table linen
- Buy a new centerpiece
- Add new table ware/flatware – again, there a lot of China imports that are cheaper options than the stock at Worth- check out Liberty, DHA crockery stores too
- Place strongly accented towels in trendy new colors on your bathroom shelves, this will add a splash of color to your bathroom
- Add indoor plants to your window sills or hang them from the ceiling. Ferns look good in
- Hang a painting on one wall. Yes, it can be done. Bathrooms are the most used rooms in the house. They need to look good too you know
- Group aromatic toiletries on your bathroom shelf or near the vanity
- Add new bathroom accessories like new soap dish, toothbrush jar
- Change your bath taps, there are cool options imported from China that will not break the bank
- Add a new shower curtain
- Change the bathroom blinds
- Check out the hi-tech kitchen accessories from Boloni , Varioline and Signature Kitchens. I loved the pull out drawers with fancy storage options for example. Boloni Kitchens sell the accessories separately as well. You do not need to buy the whole kitchen from them
- Revamp your sink area – add a new sink
- Add indoor plants to your kitchen windows
- Remove cabinets/replace it with glass shelves creating instant visual space
- Buy Bamboo/Wicker baskets – mini market, Cavalry grounds market under the Jinnah flyover are good sources
- Replace your bed linen/curtains
- Add an area rug
- Add book shelves
- You can go minimal too. Remove excess furniture or clutter from the room. This will also give your bedroom a new look.
This article was originally published in the print edition of Valuemag, issue 1, May 2008.